Devastating pictures show the damage caused by a raging kitchen fire as firefighters issue a simple safety message to communities. Emergency services were called to a house fire at a property in North Shields on Saturday 20 August.
Fire Control staff at Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) immediately deployed crews to the two-storey semi-detached property on Waterville Road in North Shields. They arrived within just six minutes and quickly began to battle the flames that were engulfing the ground floor of the property. Thankfully no one was injured during the fire however the blaze has severely damaged this family home forever.
The cause of the fire
An investigation found the fire originated in the kitchen where a box of tea towels was left on the hob, before it accidentally switched on and set the materials alight.
One of TWFRS’s senior officers who attended the scene provided a timely reminder of simple fire safety advice for your home. Group Manager Steve Burdis, Head of Service Delivery North, said:
“This fire has caused such significant damage to this family’s home we are so glad that they are safe and well. I want to thank our Fire Control staff and our two crews from Tynemouth Community Fire station for their hard work to bring the blaze under control. Although this fire was an accident, we want to remind the public about the dangers of leaving combustible materials on your hob. Boxes, tea towels, oven mitts can all catch fire very easily and cause devastating damage like we’ve seen in this instance. Electric hobs can turn on when not switched off properly so it is far safer to always keep the area clear.
“If you are unlucky enough to fall victim to a fire then get out of the building and call 999 but follow one important piece of advice. Always shut internal and external doors if you can – this can help contain the fire and reduce the overall damage to your property.
“Whatever happens, we will always be there when you need us.”
TWFRS recently launched their ‘Lifesaver’ campaign urging people to call them if they know someone who could benefit from a home visit. These visits can include the fitting of smoke alarms in the right places in your home, organising an evacuation plan, or other fire safety prevention measures. To organise a safe and well home visit, call TWFRS’s Prevention team on 0800 0327777 or you can fill in the enquiry form on their website by visiting www.twfire.gov.uk/safety-advice.