This is a simple recipe that you can adapt as much as you like. Winter-warming and good for lockdown days.
The good news is that none of the measurements are crucial. You really can’t go wrong!
- 1 large (or 2 small) cauliflowers
- 3 eggs (to boil)
- 1 large onion
- A couple of cloves of garlic (or as much as you like!)
- Any cooked leftover veg (I used peas)
- Grated cheese for the topping
And for the cheese sauce, either
- some butter
- some flour
- some milk
- some cheese
or you can cheat a little and use something like an instant sauce (eg Bisto cheese sauce)
- Boil eggs
- Boil cauliflower – not too soft as it will go in the oven afterwards
- Fry onion and garlic
- Place cauliflower, onion mixture and chopped eggs into an ovenproof dish
- Add your leftovers…
- And now to make the sauce (or use the instant variety)
- Make a roux by melting the butter in a pan and then gradually adding the flour (turning the heat down). The mixture should stick together in a clump and not stick to the pan. (See image A below)
- Gradually add the milk and stir until you have a smooth white sauce. (See iage B below).
- Add cheese and stir – again a smooth sauce
- Pour sauce over mixture in dish
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top
- Bake for around one hour at 200 degrees C
Enjoy! Works well with David’s sourdough bread.