This is a quick and easy dish to make that I normally serve with tofu to make it vegan but can also be served with meat such as pork or chicken. Use half-spoon to reduce the sugar content.
Much cheaper and healthier than going to a takeaway for it and hardly any extra effort!
Ingredients for sweet and sour tofu
1 tbsp cornflour
Small tin of pineapple chunks
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp sugar (or half-spoon to reduce the sugar content)
2 tbsp white vinegar
½ tsp of ginger
1 tbsp vegetable oil
200g of tofu
2 peppers (green and red) chunked
1 sliced onion
3 small carrots sliced
- Gradually mix the cornflour with the pineapple juice then garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and ketchup. Place in a small pan and simmer for a few minutes.
- Cube the tofu and grill for ten minutes.
- Stir fry or boil the vegetables.
- Add the tofu and vegetables back to the pan with the sauce and add the pineapple chunks. Bring to a simmer.
- Serve with rice once piping hot.
Why not add this vegan trifle as a dessert?
Please follow us on social media, subscribe to our newsletter, and/or support us with a regular donation